Wednesday 22 February 2012

The Muppets [Review]

As I have only graced this planet a mere eighteen years, I never really had the chance to grow up with the Muppets. I knew of them, but I’d never seen any of their shows or past films. This all changed with James Bobin’s film, simply titled The Muppets - and as it’s the first Muppets experience I’ve encountered, this review, unlike so many others, shouldn’t be clouded by nostalgia.

Instead, I’m going to tell you how great The Muppets is based on the film itself, because yes, it is absolutely, unequivocally GREAT. The film introduces a new Muppet, Walter (voiced by Peter Linz), brother to Gary (Jason Segel), who becomes obsessed with the original Muppets TV show. So when Gary offers to take Walter to LA with him and girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams), the young Muppet jumps at the chance to visit the original Muppet studios.

While on this tour of the depressingly run-down studios, Walter sneaks off and overhears plans by token baddie Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) to bulldoze the lot in order to drill for oil. Only Kermit the frog, in his washed-up Bel-Air mansion, can save the day - by rounding up the original gang and putting on a show to raise enough money to save the studios.


It’s a plot that hints at themes of social commentary but is also completely self-aware in its ridiculousness. Indeed, The Muppets can really only be described as self-aware throughout its 103 minutes of runtime; from that villain (Tex Richman?!) to the charmingly cynical montage (in order to save time!) the film has more than its fair share of laughs - but never crosses the line into grumpy cynicism.

From opening number Everything That I Need, right on through to the film’s jovial climax, the production oozes with charm. Following in Pixar’s footsteps, there’s also the odd subtle joke that the kids might not get, and you’d need to be quick off the mark to see - such as Gonzo’s ‘AUTOMATIC DESTROY PLUMBING BUSINESS’ button, which had me chuckling for a while (or at least until the next joke came along, and they’re never too far apart).

It’s not all a barrel of laughs: there’s a fair few heartfelt moments, particularly for Walter and Kermit. Segel and Adams wisely hold back to let their felt friends take centre stage; it is, after all, their movie. But the human performers still do a damn fine job, including all the cameo actors - of which there are many, and none of which I shall spoil for you. But do look out for Walter's human comparison during the film's best song, 'Am I a Man, or am I a Muppet?'


Here lies the only very tiny flaw with The Muppets, though: throughout the film, hints at a big celebrity reveal are dropped, and by the end of it we’re left wondering where it was. There are a few big names, though the impact of many will depend on what kind of shows and films you watch. Nevertheless, The Muppets isn’t about its human characters, so this shouldn’t put too much of a dampener on things.

The Muppets made me fall in love with cinema all over again, and that’s a damn hard job to do considering how much I love it already. It’s funny, charming, heartwarming and delightful. I can’t give this film enough praise, and I can’t wait to see it again. I started this review by claiming it should be completely objective. I think I’ve achieved that, and if I have, then consider this a seal of approval - even for all you non-Muppets fans out there.

✰✰✰✰✰

Dir: James Bobin
Cast: Jason Segel, Amy Adams, Chris Cooper, Peter Linz
Walt Disney Pictures, 103 mins, 10/02/12

Synopsis: With the help of a young obsessed fan, The Muppets must reunite to save their studio from the hands of greedy oil tycoon Tex Richman.

0 comments:

Post a Comment